Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Minot to Rugby

As it turned out, taking Kay's advice probably saved me a lot of grief. The reason I was having trouble with the rear shifter was that the rear wheel bearing was starting to fail and there was too much play at the rear axle. The simple solution was a new rear wheel. Here the Shop's co-owner, Rory, has the bike up on the hoist.
Rory listened to my stories as he worked on the bike and we came to an agreement. If I would wear his shop's team colours on my trip across the country he would help me out. Rory gave me a good discount on his parts and service and even threw in some freebies. Here I am in my new High Plains Shifters colours. If you are going through North Dakota and need the services of a good bike mechanic, Rory is your man.
After having lost a day with bike problems I pushed hard to Rugby to make up for lost time and got there late in the afternoon. There I met Jean Coello who was part of a trio of American cyclists who where retracing Lewis and Clarks journey of discover in the early 1800's. We shared biking stories until I could no longer stay awake. Rugby is the geographical center of America and I remember posing for a family photo here almost exactly ten years ago when we travelled across the country in a motor home to Newfoundland. A motor home with two bad Bostons, two young teenage daughters and Shelley and I. At this moment I was missing them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment