Sunday, June 13, 2010

Cass Lake to Warba

This is the class of place I have been staying in when not camping. It would probably be condemned at home. The only reason for pulling in to a joint like this is foul weather. I was pleased to get the last available room here last night with rain dripping. This is Ojibwe country and there were Ojibwe on both sides of me. The CPR earplugs came out to muffle the drum beats vibrating the wall and bed. Slept fine. Nice and dry and actual bed.
Had a slight tail wind today so was making pretty good time between soaker showers. At one point this young bonehead dog decided to join me on my journey and started running beside me in the middle of the road. I tried to get hold of him to get at his quills but he wouldn't let me catch him. I eventually sent him back to the farm house he came out from. He will be in dutch when his family gets home.
Crossed the Missisippi today and stopped to take a photo. I noticed this big tortoise shuffling along towards the river which is about five meters wide at this point. I threw my bike helmet down for scale and thought he might like it because it is kind of tortoise shaped. He hissed and snapped at it. Didn't like the colour I guess. Did 110 kms. today and bought a Wisconsin map. Should get there through Duluth tomorrow. Got another Motel in Warba which is not quite as nice as the one in Cass Lake. I check for chinche. (bed bugs)

2 comments:

  1. Isn't that fellow a snapping turtle ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering where you were and was going to send the police out looking for you!!! haha.
    The weather has been very nice in Kamloops the last couple of days, finally sun and no rain. take care - Lynn

    ReplyDelete