Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Carpio to Minot

This is an abandoned Standard Oil gas station was between Carpio and Minot. The Pump out front still registers the last sale. The price at that time was 30.9 cents a gallon. That's about eight cents a litre. I remember paying about fifty cents a gallon in the sixties. This was probably in the 1950's sometime. Currently the price for a gallon of regular here is $2.79. The bike was still having issues with the rear shifter so I spent an hour looking for a bike shop in Minot and did eventually find one but of course it was closed since it was Sunday. I was sitting in a gas station trying to make up my mind what to do. I really wanted to keep going with the good tail wind that was blowing. Then a friendly older lady(Kay) came up, introduced herself and said she had been watching my progress as she went about her business on the highway for the last two days. She strongly recommended that I wait until Monday morning to get into the shop to have the bike looked at as there was no other good shop for hundreds of miles. She then gave me a bag of fresh cut wild asparagus. I took her advice and camped by the Mouse river south of Minot for the night. The fresh asparagus was a treat.
Having some time to kill I had a look around the Zoo in Minot. Very pretty spot for the ducks and geese. The lions did not look that happy though. I suspect they were bored to tears.
I decided to involve this big male in a game of "catch the old guy". He was quick to clue in to the game. I darted this way and that and he kept right up with me. When I left others had taken up the game and he was getting some pretty good exercise. The female lion in with him was pouncing on him trying to get him to stop running back and forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment