Wednesday, June 30, 2010

June 30 Panmure to Iroquois

After saying goodbye to the Bells this morning I was passing through prosperous farms with lush corn and other crops. The farms have signs beside the crops advertising the products which were used to get the impressive results seen. Mostly flat land with a wind from behind so was covering ground at a pretty good rate today.
In the afternoon my road passed over the 401. Being on a bike this is forbidden ground for me. Good. You would not meet anyone going along the freeway anyway. In Burrits Rapids beside the Rideau River a parks Canada employee who looked after the swinging bridge there recommended that I go south to highway 2 and follow it along the St Lawrence. I'm taking his advice.
This is at the Legion grounds in the town of Cardinal. In the background is the St. Lawrence with the U.S on the far shore. My bike is leaning on a 40 mm Bofors gun. It is a rapid fire antiaircraft gun which was used in WWII. I managed to stay out of the rain until the end of the day and then got into a motel in Iroquois before it started. The Queen in Ottawa was not so lucky and had to do her ceremonies in the rain. Somebody probably held an umbrella for her. I don't have anyone to do that so have to put on my rubber suit or hide in a barn.




1 comment:

  1. Let's see if I can post a message today.
    I was asking you what an astrolade was, but then I asked again in a regular e-mail. We leave tmo for Gray Creek for my dad's 90th and I will let you know when I post pics on facebook so that you can look at them - ride carefully - Lynn

    ReplyDelete