Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28 Stonecliff to Pembroke

Here's the Sherman tank which the Armed forces gave to the town of Petawawa to celebrate the 100 anniversary of the base there in 2005. The first half of the day was spent struggling with hills but as you get closer to Petawawa the land gradually flattens out. Just before this spot I came across two young guys, 18 or 20 years old, who were just nicely started on their trip across the country. They had just come up the Ottawa River valley which was a breeze and were feeling quite pleased with their progress. I felt I better let them know what they were in for. I told them they were about to leave the civilized part of Canada and enter the bush. I sprayed them both down with one of the two cans of DEET I had and gave them one can. I told them how to deal with ticks and flies and such. I told them of the monumental task they had set out on. Of the hard country they were headed into. They would have to beat the terrain, bone deep exhaustion and unpredictable weather. The headwinds which would beat them to a standstill and the heat and drought they would face on the prairies. Of the wall of rock which would loom up in front them if they made it across the prairies and also of all the incredible support and acts of kindness they would get from unexpected places. If they made it to the west coast they would be looked on as athletes and travelling adventurers. They could look upon themselves as men. They left with looks of grim determination on their faces.
Lots of men and equipment moving on the highway around Petawawa. Here's one of the newer trucks I saw on the road. A lot of the stuff they have is obviously not new, in fact kind of beat up looking. Maybe they keep the good stuff for Afganistan. More likely this is just all they have. We expect a lot from our troops without giving them much to work with. Not like the U.S. They have all the best that money can buy. Flags in Petawawa were at half mast for two more young soldiers who died in a road side blast yesterday. I suspect some of the activity was related to the G8 G20 summit which just finished.
By Pembroke I had done 90 km and was faced with a quandary. Do I waste time going into Pembroke to find a place to do laundry and and stay the night or should I press on to the next spot which was another 40Km. I looked at the weather coming at me from the west and decided against going any further. The storm hit and knocked out the power in Pembroke just as I was unloading the bike at this motel. The Laundromat down town still had power so I threw my tent in to dry out and did laundry. While it was drying I hit the Chinese buffet across the street. Delicious, best meal since the Soo.








1 comment:

  1. We are off to my father's 90th birthday party on Saturday. I understand that he is getting a helicopter ride. Should be exciting. Will take pics and I think that I will post them on Facebook so all can look at them. Ride safely - Lynn

    ReplyDelete