Monday, May 24, 2010

The next day I was rested and anxious to get rolling but had to reconsider my priorities. Did I want to make good time or did I want to enjoy the trip to the max? Carrie's buddy Bill Sliva wanted to go to the trap range at Oliver and blow clay pigeons out of the sky.













He offered to make up any time lost shooting by giving me a lift so that settled it. As you can see from the pictures, that is what we did. Bill gave me a beautiful model 1100 which was right on the money. Any time the clay was anywhere near the bead when I pulled the trigger it would disappear in a cloud of red dust. At first I couldn't hit anything but eventually I was starting to get the hang of it. We blasted away for multiple rounds and I could see how it could come to be a passion. You are competing against yourself to keep your score up. After a while we had to call a halt as a big mulie doe had wandered right out in front of as we blasted away. Incredibly it ignored the blast of our big twelve gauges and the shattering clay. Then another appeared behind and followed the first doe out into our field of fire. The only thing I could think of to explain their behavior was that many fruit and grape growers install boomers to scare away birds so they are used to the constant boom as they go about their feeding. Interesting and fun afternoon which I will long remember. Thanks Bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment