Wednesday, July 7, 2010

July 7 Rumsford to Skowhegan

Up at four this morning and rolling early to beat the heat. The first ten miles was a pleasant cruise along the tree lined Androscoggin river. After that it was a climb out of the river valley and over into the Wilson River basin. When I dropped it down to start the climb nothing happened. The bracket holding the front shifter had broken into two unrepairable pieces. I was just about to chuck it but decided to hold on to it for some reason. So what to do? I had not passed a bike shop for hundreds of miles and had no idea when I would come across another one. I struggled along for the next twenty miles using only the middle seven gears. It was pretty hard going and I knew I could not keep going like that. Amazingly in the next place there was a a store which was a combination wood store showroom and bike shop with three bike mechanics! My fluke luck is holding.
Here's Reid who scavenged parts and used some of the ones I had saved to patch together a new front shifter for me. I filled my self up with cold water from their cooler and was on my way
Near Mercer I took this photo of the lopsided tree. The power line crews have kept the branches near the power line trimmed back so the tree responded by putting out its growth over the road.

Great shady spot for me to take a rest. The temperature was in the nineties again today with high humidity on top of that. When you put a cold drink on the bike it starts dripping with condensation in minutes. I have my hot weather riding technique figured out now. I'm in bed by eight and up by four so have a few hours before it gets hot. By ten it is cooking so you have to stay soaked down constantly and back off on the speed. Just chug along at a rate that is not stressing your heart. At Norridgewock this afternoon it was 95 degrees F and I was coping fine. Did 100 kms in spite of mechanical problems. It's all in the technique!
Here's a home in Skowhegan which is very typical to this part of the country. Huge and with steep roofs covered with metal. I have seen several signs warning to watch for falling snow beside steep roofs but I have paid them no heed. Haven't seen a flake since leaving "the Hat"

Things in Maine do not have the monied look of "Vuhmaant" In Hardwick a bundle of firewood was five dollars but can be had here for two. Yuppies don't do wood. They just pay too much for it.

2 comments:

  1. Arrived back home in Kamloops. We had a good visit in Fernie with Kevin, Elen anb Baby. We got my dad to go away with us for the night. While we were there, he got to read your blog and was very interested. I might try and print of sections to send him. Sad news when we return to Gray Creek, Sammy went to doggy heaven. Also on the brighter side, your postcard was waiting for him.
    Have posted pictures on Facebook, have a look
    ride carefully - Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horseshoes up your arse Ian!!!!!
    Amazing how things have worked out for you......
    Happy riding!
    May the wind always be at your back...
    Cheers from Fernie
    Xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete