Monday, July 5, 2010

July 4 Morrisville to North Concorde Vermont

Got an early start at 6 A.M this morning and before long was passing through the picturesque town of Hardwick. While stopped to buy a couple of cold drinks a elderly woman, probably in her eighties but spry and sharp, came over to talk. When I told her my destination of St. Andrews her eyes sparkled and she said she was familiar with the area as she grew up in St.Stevens which is on the border with Maine near there. She asked if I had family there and I replied that I had deep roots there but few relatives remain. She asked what family it was and I replied MacCoubrey. Her face lit up and she said "I knew the MacCoubreys! As a young girl I spent my summers on Fred MacCoubrey's farm. Fine people the MacCoubreys." She grasped my hand and shook it firmly and wished me a safe and happy trip and stood waving as I pedalled away. Amazing how the good deeds and attitudes of family members can reach into the future and span distance. People remember. Sometimes it is an incredibly small world.
These motorcyclists pulled up beside me at a scenic lookout. I couldn't help but be impressed by the big Victory tourer that this woman was piloting. All four of them had eye catching big twin cruisers. Beautiful bikes. Nice People who were pleased to meet a fellow Canadian. Also it was nice to see the girls on their own big bikes instead of just perched on the back. I think I might like to have the BMW painted in this rich glowing metallic maroon.
This is the village of Walcott. Towns in this area were established in the late 1700's so the cemetery's have more people in them by far than the towns. Very hilly going again today so spent most of the day in bottom gear. Made 25 miles in the first four hours. I was leaving a trail of sweat going up the hills as the temp was cooking hot. Knocked off at 2:00 at the designated campground only to find it right full of people celebrating the fourth of July. Fortunately two nice families let me share a spot at their site as they had extra room. Lucked out again!
Here's an old sugar house. This is where maple sap is boiled down to make maple syrup and sugar. This is a fairly important industry across northern Vermont. Some sugar places are the size of small factories.

No comments:

Post a Comment