Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 10th Milbridge to Pembroke

It was foggy and cool this morning which lasted most of the day and was a welcome change from the heat. I wasn't sure what to make of this place. Probably some old character living here with more time on his hands than he knew what to do with. This part of Maine is pretty backwoodsy. Not very prosperous looking. Lots of people put firewood out for sale at the ends of their driveways. It is on the honour system. If you need some just put two dollars in the tin can. In some parts of the world that wouldn't work but apparently it does here. That says something good about them.
We are out of the Maple syrup country and into the blueberry zone. You can get blueberry anything. This place looks like a blue smurf might live here but it is actually a blueberry place near Whiting.
Here's a fish boat pulled up with some lobster traps behind it. Now lobster traps don't look like the wooden slat ones we used to see. These look like they are just made of chicken wire. I don't think they will sell very well as souvenirs. I have seen lots of boats pulled up and many for sale along this stretch of road. One woman I talked to said that seafood prices are on the rise because of the disaster in the Gulf. This will likely put pressure on the Atlantic fishery. I talked to a Fisheries Canada employee who said the quota system we have is under constant pressure from all sides. Hopefully it won't end up like the cod fishery.

1 comment:

  1. Got my maps out and was trying to follow your trip thro Ontario and then back to US. The next time you go, I'm going to get better maps!!!!
    My plan for printing out your blog is on hold 'cause my printer has a jammed cartridge. Now to get it fixed, not an easy task. The store wants to sell me a new printer but guess what!!!!I might need a new computer 'cause mine is too old to get a new printer attached. Don't you just love it. ride carefully. Lynn

    ReplyDelete